From the Archive – AIL Greystones 18 Seapoint 14 (2012)

AIL Greystones 18 Seapoint 14
Ulster Bank League Division 2A              

Greystones RFC 18 – Seapoint RFC 14

Played:               Saturday 24th March 2012

Venue:                Dr. Hickey Park

Penalties:           Andrew Kealy (6)

Greystones found their winning ways again at home to Seapoint in the AIL on Saturday. This local derby was set to be a close and tense encounter and it did not disappoint. It was a beautiful sunny day and there was a large crowd assembled for the match with a large contingent of supporters from both sides gathered for the battle.

First blood to Stones from the trusty boot of Andrew Kealy with a converted penalty early in the opening exchanges. It was to be one of those games where Stones were to rely on Kealy’s kicking accuracy for secure all their points of the day. The visitors made their intentions clear of making this a contest when their winger Conor Byrne crossed for an unconverted try five minutes later. The home side enjoyed most of the attacking action and while they were unable to break through the Seapoint defense but they were rewarded with an additional three point penalty. Kealy brought the score up to 9 -5 on the half hour with an additional three points when Seapoints no.6 Des Doyle received a yellow card for an infringement at the breakdown in their 22. The visitors added three points of their own from a converted penalty by Ken Casey and Stones replied with two of their own before half time to lead at the break by 15 points to 8.

The second half resumed after a half time display match from the U9’s from Greystones youth section. These half time matches have become a popular feature of all the home matches in the AIL and give the stars of the future an opportunity to take to the main pitch and show their skills to the attending crowds who cheer them on with great enthusiasm.

Stones came out strong in the second half and were meet with great resistance from the Seapoint defense closing down runs up the wing from Ronan Carroll and forward breaks from Bobby Clancy and Dylan Fawsitt. On counter attack the home side did concede a penalty to give an additional three points to Seapoint’ Ken Casey. Andrew Kealy added two more successful kicks and his final kick was his kick of the day as he had been fouled in a tackle and was in need of attention from physio Cameron McKeever and successfully converted the penalty. The last ten minutes were all attack from Seapoint and it looked like they had broken through on the wing and were yards from the line when Stuart Abbott put in the tackle of the day to save the try putting their centre into touch giving possession back to stones to bring play back to the half way line and the full time whistle. A superb performance by the all the lads on the team, solid determined and great team work.

Only two matches left in the season now and next is a trip to Donnybrook next Friday 30th March for a meeting with Old Wesley under lights with kick-off at 7.30pm

Greystones Team

15 Eoin Toolan
14 Ronan Carroll
13 Simon Malone
12 Conor Clery
11 Andrew Kealy
10 James Power
9 Dermot O’Rourke
1 Ronan Kearney
2 Dylan Fawsitt
3 Bobby Clancy
4 Barry Holmes (Capt)
5 Ben Armstrong
6 Stuart Abbott
7 Alan Dempsey
8 Alan O’Toole


16 Peter Hipple
17 Neil O’Brien
18 Billy Norman
19 Ross Spillane
20 Burschi Wojnar




Spread the news: