From the Archive – City of Derry 27 Greystones 24 (2012)

City of Derry 27 Greystones 24
Ulster Bank League Division 2A                                   

City of Derry RFC 27 – Greystones RFC 24

Played:             Saturday 3rd March 2012

Venue:             Judge’s Road

Tries:                Ronan Carroll (2)
Andrew Kealy (2)

Conversions:     Andrew Kealy (2)

There was plenty of drama in the closing minutes of the AIL encounter with City of Derry which did not lead to a happy ending for Greystones as the home side scored a last minute converted try to win the tie 27 to 24. After a great run of form in the AIL this marked the third loss in a row and has dented the ambitions for promotion this season but despite this it is all still to play for as Stones are only four points off second place. No doubt with a break now until the 24th March it gives time to find the winning ways again.

The match started with great promise for the home side as they were gifted an intercept try scored and converted by Richard McCarter  to go 7 – 0 up with barely five minutes gone. Greystones immediately increased the intensity and worked themselves back into the game and indeed dominated the attack and were finding space to break the defensive line and were rewarded when winger Ronan Carroll made a break from inside the City of Derry half and managed to break two tackles to touch down a try in the corner. Andrew Kealy stepped up to convert and even the scores at 7 all on the quarter hour.

Stones looked to be taking control and opened up a lead when out-half Ross Spillane broke through the line and passed out to Andrew Kealy to score an unconverted try with the ball hitting the upright. It looked like the visitors were going to wrap up the match by half time when three minutes later Stuart Abbott flew a pass over the Derry defenders to Ronan Carroll who was not going to be stopped in touching down his second try of the day to give Stones a lead of 7 -17. Stones received a yellow card for an infringement in the ruck and the resulting penalty was converted by Richard McCarter from in front of the posts. 10 – 17 at half time.

Half time was much needed by City of Derry and they returned with a renewed vigor in the second half. They had tightened up their defense and got themselves right back into the game when their scrum half Andrew Semple picked a loose ball from the ruck and dived to score an unconverted try in the corner to bring the score  to 15 – 17.

Stones went again on the attack but City of Derry had sorted their defense out at half time but they did make a breakthrough on the hour when Ross Spillane chipped in behind the defense and the chasing Andrew Kealy touched down for a bonus point try which he also converted. City of Derry piled on the pressure for the last twenty minutes and were camped in the Greystones 22 and dominating the scrum which resulted in two yellow cards for the Stones pack. Derry was rewarded with an unconverted try from Josh Lewis. Stones were holding on to a narrow 20 – 24 lead. They did get some relief when they were awarded a penalty but unfortunately lost possession in the line out and Derry took full advantage and centre Chris Barbour scored under the posts to leave the visitors stunned and disappointed.


Greystones Team

15 Andrew Kealy
14 Ronan Carroll
13 Simon Malone
12 Conor Clery
11 Scott Caldwell
10 Ross Spillane
9 Dermot O’Rourke
1 Neil O’Brien
2 Dylan Fawsitt                                                     MORE PICS ON FACEBOOK
3 Bobby Clancy
4 Barry Holmes (Capt)
5 Billy Norman
6 Stuart Abbott
7 Alan Dempsey
8 Alan O’Toole


16 Peter Hipple                                                                                                                                                                             
17 Ronan Kearney
18 James Beary
19 Burschi Wojnar
20 Craig Hazelton

Spread the news: